Sunday, December 13, 2009

Let Checketts fund stadium

(desnews.com 5-1-06)

I've had it. I can no longer stand to read the headlines about Dave Checketts' irresponsible, selfish and quixotic effort to fleece Salt Lake County out of tax money.

Checketts paid $150 million for an NHL hockey team in St. Louis one month ago. If he can arrange that kind of financing or investor money, then it is morally bankrupt for him to feign lack of funding and push this burden to the county in whatever form. It's a disgusting trick for a man with money pouring out his ears.

Does this awesome sport deserve its own specific stadium? Absolutely. But not on my dime. I love this sport. I have played it all my life. It is a huge part of who I am. But a bigger part of who I am is my belief in responsible use of public funds.


Eric Wadley

Cottonwood Heights

No comments: