Thursday, November 16, 2017

Some BigSoccer posts after news of the meeting in NYC did not go well

Minnman - Can't say I'm shocked. ******** you, MLS. I'll celebrate and cheer on this team for as long as this playoff run takes us. But those mother********ers Garber and Precourt can go to hell. Assuming there's not a miraculous turnaround sometime this winter, I'll be done with the league once this season ends. And, by association, I doubt I'll have too much time for US Soccer. Life's too short for this bullshit. Oddly enough, the blatantly dishonest and corrupt manner in which the league and Precourt have managed this makes the situation hurt a bit less. If this is the future of soccer in America, I don't really want to be a part of it.

Sagz - At one point I thought US soccer would be different



KHT Crew - I said this elsewhere...
How are you showing a “Clear Commitment to Columbus” when you have an effin’ clause to move the team to Austin, TX put in the sales contract?


my kids soccer dad - I have reached this conclusion as well. Our family has supported the Crew specifically, and MLS and US Soccer at every turn in the hope of this country having its own successful soccer culture. As supporters and players, this is the s@!# they pull. Well, they seem completely oblivious that was the only real selling point of their league. We foolishly thought it was "ours." If I want to follow soccer as a neutral observer, I have far better quality options from Europe that are easier to follow than "our" league.

I will pull for the Crew to win the cup, but if Precourt moves them, I am done with MLS and its sibling from hell, US Soccer.


Lichte for Life - MLS is dead to me, long live the Crew

Psycho Derek - If there was promotion/relegation it would be an option to get back to where we were Aka afc Wimbledon

TKyle - This is the despair talking: If we lose the Crew in ML$, and wind up with a Crew USL team (which would probably be Division II, considering the NASL is going down), I would consider supporting it. Hell, there are going to be a LOT of disappointed cities--12 fighting for 4 spots? We'd be in the company of Charlotte, St Louis, Phoenix, Indy, San Diego, and others. Yeah, not Div I, but (perhaps thankfully) not ML$.
It'd be like the Clippers.
AND maybe we'd actually TRY to win the US Open Cup!
(edited to add the Open Cup thing--TK)


svc641 - It doesn't appear Precourt and Garber have anything in Austin. They have no stadium in Austin, no agreement with Austin, there aren't fans in Austin clamoring for an MLS team, and they can barely get anyone to come out for a rally to bring the team there without offering Coors. After tonight's meeting and Columbus' statement, they don't even have any leverage here anymore. Are Precourt and Garber dumb enough to have painted themselves in a corner? What the hell is the end game for them?

I think the Columbus did the right thing in walking away immediately. The move left Precourt and the league without options except to go to a city that has nothing to offer them and has every single problem they complain Columbus has. With Austin they are getting exactly what they have now, it's just going to be more expensive and more of a headache for them. It's a classic cutting of the nose to spite the face.


WhiteHartShame - As far as I understood Precou*t's purchase agreement with the Hunt's required him to keep The Crew in Columbus for 10 years, with one exception, if he wanted to relocate to Austin. How can he "go wherever he wants", am I missing something here? That is why the result of today's meeting put the snake in a corner.

RunSudoSane - I will simply point to one bit of evidence in support of the go anywhere idea. IT"S MLS!

Bill Archer - I agree completely.

This is the town where Schelotto played. McBride. Friedel. Clark. Lapper. John. Hejduk. Mais. Moreno. Hesmer. Oh hell, you can fill in the list yourself. I wouldn't know where to stop.

So we're supposed to replace that incredible legacy with a bunch of undrafted college kids and nondescript Caribbean hangers-on? Find a few Venezuelan league castoffs? Maybe pickup the occasional arthritic Italian 40 year old who blew all his money on hookers and blow and needs a playcheck?

Trot on down to the old stadium to watch our team play the freakin Carolina Railhawks or the Selma Slaveholders?

I don't know about you but there's no way you give me a pat on the head (or a kick in the ass) and tell me to go sit at the kiddie table. I'd rather just skip dinner, thanks.


Bill Archer - I was going to back off on this topic and let it steep awhile but from many of the reactions I'm seeing everywhere - and I'm sorry but I just don't do Twitter after that ugly slime job the guys in Toronto did on me - but please indulge and old guy one more time here:

Just like you, I'm sorry that the principals at the meeting yesterday didn't burst open the doors afterwards, huge smiles all around, hugging and backslapping and singing each other's praises while Don Douchebag popped champagne in the background amid the announcement of a new local owner, a $250 million downtown stadium and $10 million in new sponsorships.

But that wasn't ever going to happen. You know that, I know that. It wasn't even remotely possible.

This is a war, people. A long hard slog. There are going to be ups and down, good days and bad. And it's not going to be over in a week or a month and it isn't going to be settled in one four hour sit down.

So pick yourselves up, get your shit back together after the disappointment of this not being resolved in our favor in a couple hours.

The bottom line is that you're going to need huge brass balls, a thick skin and a shitload of determination and patience going forward. Just don't overreact to either the good or the bad news. Just keep on keeping on.

Go Crew.


Smithsoccer1721 - Tuesday’s game feels like the biggest in the Crew’s history. Maybe league history??

No comments: