Wednesday, November 13, 2013

LA Galaxy 3rd kit unveiled



Fans designed and voted on kit, which is a nod to the Galaxy's old colors

(lagalaxy.com 6-15-13)

Last summer, through an exciting and first-of-its-kind Facebook application, the LA Galaxy, along with Herbalife and adidas allowed fans to decide what the club’s 3rd kit would look like for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Fans submitted more than 8,000 designs and were able to cast their votes for one of the final five fan-designed kits.

After months of anticipation, the Galaxy are excited to announce the winner of the LA Galaxy 3rd Kit Contest!

Drum roll, please...

The winner, with 30.3% of the total votes is Carlos Rodriguez!

Speaking with LAGalaxy.com last year, Carlos had this to say about what inspired his design and what it would mean to him to have his kit selected by the fans:

On his inspiration for the design:

  "I wanted the jersey to be a throwback to the inaugural season. Though there are certainly some people who might not place that jersey among the nicest LA Galaxy kits throughout the years for its somewhat flamboyant appearance, I have always looked at that jersey as one of the most iconic kits in MLS history. Unfortunately, since those jerseys are out of production, I felt a kit harkening back to that year could be a memento for older and much younger Galaxy fans who never had a chance to put on that jersey or would like to don those colors once again."
 
On what it would mean to have his jersey selected as the Galaxy’s official 3rd Kit:
 
"I have always had a great love for the Galaxy and I look back very fondly at the times my uncle, my cousin, and I would head to Pasadena to catch a game. As an emerging fan of the beautiful game, the Galaxy along with the rest of MLS was my first real immersion into the world of soccer and as a young kid I did not grow up idolizing soccer greats such as the Ronaldos or the Zidanes but rather Galaxy players such as the aforementioned Cobi Jones, Mauricio Cienfuegos, and Jorge Campos.

Having my design selected is, therefore, my chance to be etched into the history of the team I love so much and to whom I am eternally gratefully for truly enriching my childhood."
 
Tonight, Carlos joined Galaxy President Chris Klein and Dan Calichman, the first Galaxy captain, for the official unveil of his design. Fans can check back on lagalaxy.com after tonight's Reserve League game for more from that event.

The Galaxy will debut the new 3rd kit for Alumni Night on Saturday, August 17 when the club takes on Real Salt Lake.

No comments: