Saturday, December 10, 2011

Arsenal immortalize NYRB's Henry with statue unveiling



Bronze statue outside Emirates commemorates goal vs. Spurs

(by Simon Borg mlssoccer.com 12-9-11)

It was a moment that even moved the usually stoic Thierry Henry to tears.

English side Arsenal FC unveiled bronze statues for three club legends outside the club’s home at Emirates Stadium in London on Friday, including one of the New York Red Bulls forward, who scored a club-record 226 career goals for the Gunners.

"I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would have a statue like this in front of the stadium of the team I love and support,” he told reporters.

The statue immortalizes Henry’s now famous celebration after a dramatic goal against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in November 2002.

"The way the statue is gives the perfect example of the love I have for the club," he said, "me kneeling facing the Emirates Stadium and Highbury behind is amazing."

When he stepped up to give a short speech, Henry shed tears in front of the crowd gathered outside the Emirates.

"I know I don't show emotions often,” he said after a pause. “Some of the time some of the press used to kill me for not showing emotion. But there you go I'm showing emotion right now for the club I love.”

The ceremony was held as part of Arsenal’s 125-year anniversary celebrations that will take place on Saturday. Henry’s statue joined relics for ex-manager Herbert Chapman and defender Tony Adams.

No comments: