Thursday, August 26, 2010

I've never been more proud of RSL



Remember the early days of RSL? Thats a weird thing to say considering our club is only 5 years old, but boy how things have changed.

RSL, like almost all new teams, has had to endure bad seasons, ugly play, times of despair, and thoughts as to whether or not things would ever change. Actually, maybe thats what the fans have had to go through and not so much the team. But not all new teams can say they've grown out of those bad times with something to show for it.

Some people may critize RSL for losing the game against Cruz Azul with only minutes or seconds to go, and most of them have valid points. But I've never been more proud of RSL than I am right now. While I watched the game on the internet at work, trying not to get caught by my supervisors, I enjoyed every moment of a hard fought battle by both sides in harsh conditions. I enjoyed a game where injuries were not faked, where each team played their hearts out for the win. The game had ups and downs like every big game should, a game where two quality sides know what's at stake and play like it, and it was played by two teams that know what soccer is about.

A tie may have been a more just but ties usually don't go down in a club's lore as opposed to a hard fought win or lose. Yeh, this one will go down as a game that we let slip from our grasps in the last minute along with our chance to make history, but it will go down in my history book as one of RSL's greatest moments. They played their hearts out like true champions, like gladiators, on the big stage of Mexico City, against another quality side and I've never been more proud.

Hold your head high RSL, you've earned it.


No comments: