Tuesday, March 16, 2010

MLS contract rules detrimental to players



(by Freddie Ljungberg espn.go.com 3-15-10)

Imagine you work at Burger King and you get sacked. Now, you want to get another job at McDonald's, but you're not allowed to unless McDonald's compensates Burger King. It seems absurd, but that's the way certain things work in MLS at the moment. If your team terminates your contract, it still can demand a trade from another club before you can go and play for that other club.

The CBA, for me personally, is a sad saga. I was told it would be settled when I came back to the USA in January. Now it plays a lot on the minds of players in the preseason because we don't know if the first game is going to be played on March 25 or not. If it isn't, it will be a very sad day for players and fans in this country.

Coming from Europe, maybe I see it differently, as I've been playing under FIFA rules my whole life, but the players just want those rights. If we keep the wage cap, it shouldn't put the league in economic jeopardy as it won't cost the league any more money than what it has already agreed to.

One thing for me that is very confusing is what happens after a player's contract is up. I find it amazing that even after your club lets your contract run out without renewing, it still has all the power and still owns the player's rights.

No comments: