Saturday, October 5, 2024

Big 12 football standings.... delicious


 

First off, it has been a long time since I posted, I know.

But nothing has changed since July, I still have no idea what is going on in the soccer world and I don't care. MLS still sucks, that is a given.

Also, I still don't follow hardly any other sports. Why would I? It's all stupid.

But I had to smile this week with what is going on in Big 12 college football. The State of Utah has been turned on its head, and it has been fun to laugh at under my breath.

For some reason, even though I'm bored with most sports, I seem to listen to ESPN 700 radio a lot. At least "the Drive with Spence Checketts." Is it because he is Dave Checketts' son?, maybe. I don't know, but he does a very good job with his radio program.

Last year it was fun to listen to ESPN 700 during football season because I could feel the anguish of all Utes fans when the greatest college football quarterback of all time, or at least that is what they build him up to be, Cam Rising couldn't play due to injury but every week they held out hope that he would come back. "Cam this, Cam that, blah blah blah blah blah." They even had a segment on the radio called "Conversations with Cam" which was hilarious because the guy comes off as, shall we say....annoying? Well, he never did come back and the Utes sucked it.

Now, BYU didn't do any better so nobody could really smile or gloat.

But this year, lol.

One week in particular stands out, the week before the season began. With Cam coming back the guys on the radio could not blow anymore smoke up anyone's butt more than what they were doing. They were picking the Utes to win the Big 12, without a doubt. They were even interviewing one of the Utes players, I can't rememeber which one, but the words "national championship" came out of his mouth. 

Contrary to that they had one of the sports guys from KUTV on, I can't remember the guy's name but he has been a Utah sports reporter since forever, and he was asked if he thought BYU would go "bowling" this year, meaning they would win at least half their games in order to qualify for a bowl game. 

The guy said, "No, they won't. They are going to struggle this year, I don't see them winning 6 games this year." Even Spence Checketts was taken back a little bit by that statement.

Well, well, what a difference a few weeks makes. 

After Cam got injured by some paper cups of Gatorade, the Utes are struggling. And BYU, at least at the moment, can do no wrong. 

BYU is ranked number one in the Big 12, where the Utes are, well, so far down you have to scroll once or twice to get to 'em. 

It has been delicious to watch. I even scared myself a little last Sunday as I giggled with delight at the hightlights of Arizona stomping on the Utes in Rice Eccles, the place where my flags once flew. My laugh was uncontrolable, almost sinister. It reminded me of the Joker's laugh from this deleted scene from"The Batman." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNWLGL_CxI

"You think they deserved it, you think they deserved it!"

So, I know there are still many games to be played, but at least for now, let's all raise our paper cups of Gatorade and give thanks.



No comments: