Thursday, May 16, 2024

Utah NHL hockey team names... I had to chuckle

So I went onto the website for the Utah's new NHL hockey team because I heard you could vote for the team name.

That is a good way to get the fans involved so I applaud their effort. The only bad thing is you are getting the fans involved and if the fans want a dumb Saturday morning cartoon kind of a name you might just get it. 

On the other hand, had Dave Checketts let the fans decide on the name for the new soccer team back in 2005 we would now be cheering for the Salt Lake City Highlanders instead of Real SL. 

Remember, nobody liked the name "Real Salt Lake" when it was leaked in the SL Tribune that that was one of the names Checketts was considering. (The others were the Highlanders, the Alliance, and Glory.)

Everyone liked Highlanders, but Checketts wanted to try and woo Real Madrid into a partnership, tv deal, etc. etc. So Real Salt Lake it is.

Anyway, back to hockey.

Most of the names are awful. "The Frost, the Blast, the Fury" Ugh... lame.

But I had to chuckle a little when I saw one of the names, the Utah Freeze. 

Do they not know we've had a Utah Freeze before? 

C'mon man, indoor soccer !!!



I went to a few of their games over their 3 year existence. It wasn't bad, it was indoor soccer, so what can you expect. 

Their attendance was pretty good though, averaging 5,700 roughly a game. 

Hopefully nobody votes for that name, let the Freezz always be Utah's indoor soccer legacy.

Back to hockey, I voted for "the Mountaineers, or the Black Diamonds."

You can't say those are Saturday morning cartoon names. I got a bad feeling though we will end up with a cartoon name. We shall see.

If you want to vote, go here: https://nhlinutah.com/

No comments: